- Only nonprofit organizations with a completed registration or a published profile on giveGreater.org® by April 14, 2017 are eligible to participate in The Great Give® 2017.
- By agreeing to participate in The Great Give® 2017, a nonprofit is pledging to participate according to the rules and will not attempt to avoid the intended purpose to establish fair and consistent standards for all participants.
- All gifts must be made with a credit card or gG Card at www.giveGreater.org and/or www.thegreatgive.org (both urls will be redirected to the same giving event page during the 36-hour event . Only credit card or gG card donations received during the 36-hour period (May 2 at 8:00 AM EST through May 3 at 8:00 PM EST) will be eligible for grant prizes from The Community Foundation for this event. Donations made to participating nonprofits via check, cash or stock will not be applied toward The Great Give® 2017.
- A maximum of five gG cards can be redeemed by any single donor for any single organization.
- An organization can only win one Grand Prize (higher prize amount prevails).
- An organization can only win one competitive hourly prize but may win more than one randomly drawn prize, or one competitive hourly prize and one or more randomly drawn prizes. An organization which wins a competitve hourly prize and/or randomly drawn prizes may also win one Grand Prize.
- Gift minimum for all prizes is $25.00.
- A donor is defined as one person or corporation/business. Participating nonprofit organizations are prohibited from giving to themselves.
- Donors are encouraged to make gifts to multiple organizations of their choice. Each gift to a different organization will be counted on the leaderboard.
- An eligible or individual gift is defined as one gift to one organization from one donor. Multiple donations from one donor to the same nonprofit will count as one donor. Donors can make eligible gifts to multiple organizations. Example: If a donor gives more than once to the same nonprofit organization, that donor will be counted once as an individual donor to that specific nonprofit organization for the purpose of awarding prizes with “individual donor” eligibility criteria (e.g., Grand Prizes for greatest number of new donors and greatest number of individual donors; Early Bird prizes); however, if a donor gives to two or more nonprofit organizations, that donor will be counted as an individual donor for each nonprofit to which a gift is made.
- “New” donors are defined as individuals who have never made a charitable contribution to the nonprofit organization before The Great Give® 2017. Donors will be asked to answer a question on the donation form about their past giving to the organization and this will be cross referenced with other documentation.
- Valley donors are defined as those individuals who live or work in one or more of the five Valley towns of Ansonia (zip code 06401), Derby (zip code 06418), Oxford (zip code 06478), Seymour (zip code 06483) and Shelton (zip code 06484), Connecticut. The donor must check the box affirming they live or work in one or more of the five Valley towns for his or her donation to be counted for Valley-specific prizes. Valley nonprofits are defined as participating nonprofits that are located in one or more of the five towns of Ansonia (zip code 06401), Derby (zip code 06418), Oxford (zip code 06478), Seymour (zip code 06483) and Shelton (zip code 06484), Connecticut.
- Donors will have the option of setting up monthly recurring gifts to an organization for a period of 12 months (min. monthly amount is $25; total donation equivalent is $300 for the year). The recurring gifts will count as one individual gift for that organization but the total of these recurring gifts ($300) will be counted in the leaderboard total for amount raised and will count for the prize in that category and towards the matching gift pool grant prize.
- Each gift is 100% tax deductible. giveGreater.org® cannot receive gifts in exchange for goods and/or services. Each gift will be granted for unrestricted use to the donor’s chosen organization.
- A credit card transaction and third-party processing fee totaling 5.9% will be deducted from each donation during The Great Give® 2017. The Community Foundation does not receive any revenue from the transaction or processing fee and provides the giveGreater.org® online giving platform to nonprofit organizations as a free service.
- Secure donations for The Great Give® 2017 are provided through KIMBIA to each donor entering their own credit card information directly on www.giveGreater.org and/or www.thegreatgive.org. Any third party who enters credit card information on behalf of a donor, by their actions of entering any such credit card information on behalf of a donor has signified their agreement with The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven 1.) to assume all risk of loss and any liability associated with such transaction and 2.) to indemnify each of The Community Foundations and organizations of The Great Give® 2017 against any and all risk of loss and any liability associated with such transaction. The Community Foundation discourages third parties from entering the credit card information of donors as it is not in the spirit of The Great Give® 2017.
- Donations made with the same credit card number under several different names are subject to disqualification from grant prize eligibility. It is reasonable to expect that some family members will use the same credit card number to make their individual gifts. Multiple gifts made to the same organization using the same credit card will be examined thoroughly by The Community Foundation to ensure that gifts were made by eligible individuals (individuals over the age of 18 who are responsible for the credit card and authorized to use it).
- In the event that a donor makes a gift in error (wrong amount or designates incorrect nonprofit) changes and refunds will be made twice during the giving event: once at the close of business on May 2 and once after the event ends on May 3.
- Grants up to $5,000 made by The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven and Valley Community Foundation Donor Advised Fund holders between April 21 – April 28, 2017 will be added to the organization’s leaderboard total, count toward select Grand prizes and be matched by the Foundations on a pro-rated basis.
- For the convenience of donors, gifts may be scheduled in advance for The Great Give® 2017. Starting Monday, April 17and ending at 10:00 pm on May 1st, a donor can go to the donation page of any individual nonprofit and schedule a gift to be made during The Great Give®. All advanced gifts will be credited to participating organization during the second day of the giving event at a time determined by The Community Foundation. Advanced gifts will count toward match and grand prizes but will not be counted toward hourly competitive prizes.
- Participating nonprofit organizations must file ACH transfer documents with The Community Foundation to receive grant payments of donor dollars, prizes and match dollars.
*Rules are subject to change at any time at the discretion of The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is The Great Give® 2017?
The Great Give® 2017 is the eighth major community-wide giving event through giveGreater.org® taking place for 36 hours starting at 8:00 AM on May 2 and ending at 8:00 PM on May 3, 2017. giveGreater.org® is a service provided by The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven that strengthens nonprofits serving Greater New Haven by advancing knowledge about their work and increasing giving to their organizations.
Who can donate?
Anyone with a valid credit card or gG card and access to the internet.
What is an “individual” or “unique” donor”?
For the purposes of awarding prizes, a unique donor is one individual or corporation/business. Multiple donations from one donor to the same nonprofit will count as one gift. Organizations cannot donate to themselves. Donors are encouraged to make gifts to multiple organizations.
What forms of donations are accepted?
Donations from MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express or a gG Card will be accepted. Donations via check, cash or stock WILL NOT be accepted as part of The Great Give® 2017.
Are gifts tax-deductible?
All donations are 100% tax deductible and irrevocable and will be for the unrestricted use of your chosen charity. A donor cannot receive any goods or services in exchange for their gift.
Is there a minimum gift?
Yes, a minimum donation of $25 is required to be counted towards grant prize eligibility.
How will the donations be reported on my credit card statement?
All gifts made during The Great Give® 2017 are gifts to The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven that will be distributed to the organization you selected. Your credit card statement will reflect a gift to The Community Foundation as GreatGive2017 followed by The Community Foundation’s telephone number.
Is there a fee charged for the online credit card gifts?
A credit card transaction and third-party processing fee of 5.9% will be deducted from each donation during The Great Give® 2017. The Community Foundation does not receive any revenue from the transaction or processing fee and provides the giveGreater.org® online giving platform to nonprofit organizations as a free service.
May I designate how a nonprofit uses my gift?
The Great Give® 2017 gifts are considered unrestricted gifts to the nonprofit.
Can I make my donation over the phone?
Only smart phones that allow you to make a credit card donation online enable you to contribute in this way. Go to www.thegreatgive.org to donate from your smart phone during the 36 hour giving event which starts 8:00 AM on May 2.
Why does The Community Foundation support giveGreater.org®?
Local nonprofits serve our community and support the quality of life we all cherish. The Community Foundation is doing all it can to enable local nonprofits to meet today’s challenges and build strong organizations that will deliver results in the future. Building strong nonprofits also means increasing local giving. This is central to our role. We believe that the more our community knows about its challenges and opportunities, and the more local donors have confidence in local nonprofits, the more they will give locally. As a means to accomplishing these goals The Community Foundation will reach out to giveGreater.org donors to raise awareness about important community issues, to promote local giving opportunities and to learn about The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven.
For more information about The Great Give® 2017, contact [email protected] or 203-777-2386.